Duration: 12 Months
The DCS is looking for persons from various communities, interests and appropriate qualifications to enter into a Further Education and Training Certificate in the Corrections Services Learnership (NQF Level 4). The function of these trainees shall be to contribute towards the rehabilitation of offenders through correction and human development in secure, safe and humane detention or under the community-based correctional supervision. English will be used as a medium of instruction.
Basic enlistment requirements
- South Africans who are in possession of a Grade 12/Standard 10 Certificate; or
- South Africans who have successfully completed the National Certificate in Vocational Studies (NQF Level 4); or
- South Africans who have successfully completed a Further Education and Training Certificate NQF (Level 4).
Candidates with additional qualifications (s) such as a diploma or degree related corrections/penology/criminology shall be given preference. Unemployed graduates who have completed other post-school qualifications relevant to the correctional services environment are also encouraged to apply. Additional qualifications shall not be recognized for the stipend paid or for future remuneration purposes.
Furthermore, applicants must be South Africans who
- Are between 21 and 35 years of age;
- Have a strong character;
- Disclose information and be prepared to undergo personal suitability checks related to their background, citizenship, qualifications and criminal record
- Are law-abiding citizens and are without criminal records (particulars of the pending criminal cases must be provided during the selection process).
- Are prepared to subject themselves to the selection process conducted by DCS.
The FET Certificate In Corrections Services Learnership
The learnership is outcome-based and is intended to contribute towards addressing the skills shortage in South Africa. The Corrections Services Learnership is based on a legally binding agreement between the employer, learner and service provider.
The Learnership Programme shall be presented for a period of one year consisting of:
The learnership comprises of ±30% of work which is theoretical or instructional learning and ±70% which is workplace learning in nature. the portion of the training will also include exposure to the correctional centers.
A ± 30% intensive instructional learning theory, which is inclusive of a firearm, physical and self-defense training, which will take place at designated accredited DCS colleges. Free accommodation, meals, training material, uniform (field wear and tracksuit) shall be provided during this training phase. The obligatory theoretical training strictly requires the learner to be accommodated at the Training College on a full-time basis.
This is a ± 70% workplace learning phase that shall take place at the Correctional and Social Reintegration Centres/Units. Please note that this will entail duties related to the rehabilitation and provision of security to offenders.
During this phase, learners shall continue receiving a stipend. The learners shall be responsible for their own accommodation, meals and transport. No pension fund, housing allowance, housing subsidy, danger allowance, medical aid or overtime shall be paid by the employer during the theoretical as well as during the practical training phases.